Oklahoma health officials say a man died this week after contracting a rare brain-eating amoeba while swimming in Lake Murray in Ardmore.
The swimmer had contracted primary amebic meningoencephalitis, known as PAM. It was not revealed when exactly the incident occurred.
Experts say amoeba enters the nose and then goes to the brain, which is almost always fatal. "Once symptoms start, patients only survive a few days," Jessica Sheehy, a physician assistant and infectious diseases specialist, says.