CHILHOWIE, Va. - A 5-year-old girl died when she locked herself in a front loading washing machine at a local laundromat. The child's mother had apparently stepped outside, leaving the girl and her 14-year-old brother inside unattended.
The mother returned a short time later to find her daughter locked inside of the washer. She then used a rock to break the glass and retrieve her daughter. Rescue personnel tried unsuccessfully to revive her.
An autopsy will be performed to determine the exact cause of death. Police Chief Dwayne Sheffield stated, "It's the worst, most horrific thing I've dealt with in my career." It is not yet known if there will be any charges filed in the case.