A 17-year-old rookie plumber has begun his career by accidentally burning down a $12 million waterfront mansion. Initial indications are that the blowtorch he was using in the roof ignited expanded polystyrene foam.
The building was burned to the ground in minutes despite the attentions of 60 firefighters. A spokesperson for the owner, Andrew Brownsword, said he was unhappy about what had happened but did not believe the young plumber acted with malice.
"I heard it was started by a teenager on his first day. You have to feel sorry for the poor lad. He must feel terrible," a neighbour said. Nobody was hurt in the incident.