Swedish health officials at the Blekinge Hospital in Karlkrona have banned staff from wearing Crocs slippers after it was discovered the footwear can produce so much static electricity, it can interfere with medical equipment.
The footwear was the culprit of two respiratory machines turning off for no apparent reason. The machines were assisting two premature babies breathe. The Crocs slippers are popular across Sweden, and worn by most health workers.
It was found that the slippers could charge a maximum of 25,000 volts. Hospital spokesperson Bjorn Lofqvist, said: "Everybody generates static electricity. But it usually loses its charge, either by disappearing through one's shoes or elsewhere."