Farmer Sampson Parker of Kershaw County, S.C., amputated his own arm after his hand was caught when he attempted to remove a corn stalk from his mechanical corn picker.
Farmer Sampson jammed the harvester with an iron bar while he tried to cut his fingers off to free himself. Things became much worse when the bar caused a spark that set the grass around him on fire.
"My skin was melting. It was dripping off my arm like plastic, plastic melting. I realized I was in trouble," Parker said. At this point Parker used his pocket knife to amputate his arm. Parker drove to the road and was rescued by a fireman.