ShortNews
+ + + 3 BRANDNEW NewsTickers for your Website! + + + easy configurable in less than 1 Minute + + + GET'EM NOW! + + +

   Home | Join | Submit News | MyShortNews | HighScores | FAQ'S | Forums Chat | 0 Users Online   
   
                 04/24/2014 01:03 PM  
  ShortNews Search
search all Channels
RSS feeds
   Top News Regional
Yosemite Park: Climber Falls 30 Feet
Kansas: Prosecutor Seeking Death Penalty Against Man Charged in Murder of Four People
New Jersey Man Steals Woman´s Dog and TV on First Date
Man Who Shot Wife While She Was on the Phone With 911 Ate Pot-Infused Candy
Man Finds 6.19 Carat Diamond in Crater of Diamonds State Park
Squirrel Blamed for $300,000 Damage to Community Center
First Pot Vending Machine Unveiled in Colorado
Small Plane Makes Emergency Landing on Golf Course
more News
out of this Channel...
  ShortNews User Poll
Do you think marriages between same-sex couples should be legally recognized?
  Latest Events
04/24/2014 08:55 AM
maricelclint receives 100 Points for News Submission of 'Westhill Consulting Travel And Tours Guide: Experience Spa In Jakarta'
04/24/2014 04:18 AM
estrella242 receives 20 Points for very good Assessment of 'Drew Barrymore Welcomes Second Daughter With Husband Will Kopelman'
04/24/2014 04:17 AM
estrella242 receives 20 Points for very good Assessment of 'Kansas: Prosecutor Seeking Death Penalty Against Man Charged in Murder of Four People'
04/24/2014 04:17 AM
estrella242 receives 20 Points for very good Assessment of 'Yosemite Park: Climber Falls 30 Feet'
04/24/2014 04:15 AM
estrella242 receives 20 Points for very good Assessment of 'FDA to Propose Rules for e-Cigarette Makers'
04/24/2014 04:14 AM
estrella242 receives 20 Points for very good Assessment of 'Lupita Nyong´o Named Most Beautiful Person'
04/24/2014 04:13 AM
estrella242 receives 20 Points for very good Assessment of 'Possible Debris of Malaysia Airlines Flight Spotted on Australian Coast'
04/23/2014 05:34 PM
estrella242 receives 100 Points for News Submission of 'Kansas: Prosecutor Seeking Death Penalty Against Man Charged in Murder of Four People'
04/23/2014 04:54 PM
estrella242 receives 100 Points for News Submission of 'FDA to Propose Rules for e-Cigarette Makers'
04/23/2014 04:27 PM
estrella242 receives 100 Points for News Submission of 'Drew Barrymore Welcomes Second Daughter With Husband Will Kopelman'
  2.803 Visits   1 Assessments  Show users who Rated this:
Quality: Good
Back to Overview  
06/03/2010 07:18 PM ID: 84334 Permalink   

Croc Shoes Save Boy´s Life

 

A little boy named Harley Sutton-Dormer is lucky to be alive today after receiving an electric shock. The shock was due to a faulty hairdryer in the changing room of the Belhus Park Leisure Centre swimming pool in South Ockendon, Essex.

The hairdryer sent a bolt of electricity through Harley´s body. His mother said it was an awful experience because he was shaking and screaming. The clothes he was wearing were charred and he now has an exit burn on his side.

A paramedic said the Croc shoes Harley was wearing saved him from being seriously injured. This is because the shoes stopped the electricity going through his legs. Harley suffered burns from the shock. An investigation is now being carried out.

 
  Source: www.news.com.au  
    WebReporter: rachel1085 Show Calling Card      
  Recommendation:  
ASSESS this news: BLOCK this news. Reason:
   
  22 Comments
  
  Poor boy  
 
I hope he gets well soon!
 
  by: Flutje   06/03/2010 10:30 PM     
  Yikes!  
 
Must have been an industrial strength hairdryer to through out that kind of arc.
 
  by: VermiciousG     06/03/2010 11:26 PM     
  Where was the circuit breaker?  
 
In America by law, all handheld hairdryers must have a GFI built in.
 
  by: walter3ca   06/04/2010 05:12 AM     
  Cool...  
 
but I still say crocs are fu**ing ugly.
 
  by: rippler2k3   06/04/2010 05:46 AM     
  Glad to Hear He´s Ok  
 
But he probably will be scared for life by wearing Crocks.
 
  by: Jim8   06/04/2010 06:36 AM     
  I don´t believe...  
 
...that this story is true, simply because I refuse to believe that anything good could ever come from those hideous shoes.
 
  by: spiggy   06/04/2010 02:32 PM     
  Nobody asked the important question...  
 
Why was he using a hair dryer?
 
  by: jediman3     06/04/2010 05:55 PM     
  Not just Crocs  
 
I would imagine any rubber soled shoes or sandals would have the same exact effect. Rubber between feet and ground = no exit path for electricity.
 
  by: gyrluknouwantme   06/05/2010 02:56 AM     
  @Walter3ca  
 
It wasn´t in the US. Somebody correct me if I´m wrong, but I don´t think most electrical outlets in the UK even have grounds.
 
  by: PeddlerOfFlesh   06/05/2010 06:43 PM     
  .  
 
i might be wrong but IIRC the UK is on 220 v, which is much safer then 120v.
 
  by: snowman47   06/06/2010 06:04 AM     
  Similar experience  
 
My landlord is an ass and installed an old used washing machine that required grounding. At first, I noticed a mild tingling in my arm whenever I grabbed damp clothes in the unit, but later, when I wasn´t wearing crocs (yes, I wear them at home because I have problem with one of my heels). ZAP! Like, wow.
 
  by: theironboard     06/06/2010 06:55 AM     
  @snowman47  
 
Can you show me anything that has any expert saying 220v is safer, preferably with a reason why?
 
  by: PeddlerOfFlesh   06/06/2010 07:50 AM     
  also...  
 
it´s not the UK plug I was thinking of that doesn´t have a ground/earth wire. They do. I was thinking of the ones like used in Sweden, but I don´t know about them. To me, 2 prongs = no ground/earth.
 
  by: PeddlerOfFlesh   06/06/2010 08:01 AM     
  @POF  
 
I´m no expert but *maybe* if an American hair dryer and European hair dryer use the same amount of power(watts) and wattage = voltage * amperage then by delivering power with near twice the voltage means delivering it with near half the amperage.

Like they say "It´s not the volts that kills ya´. It´s the amps."

Like I say. I´m not an expert though.
 
  by: VermiciousG     06/06/2010 08:33 AM     
  @snow Peddler and Verm  
 
I am an electronics tech and Electrician by trade.

In the US standard outlets are rated for 110v 60Hz. In all locker rooms bathrooms or anywhere where moisture is around, its requird you have a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) rated outlet so if something happens (internal failure in plugged in device, water creating a short etc) the outlet becomes dead and must be reset.

UK home electricity

220-240v AC rated at 50Hz Which can be very dangerous. (In the US most driers and stove ranges operate on 240v) If you touch while uninsulated your pretty much toast. He was being electrocuted so the Crocs were not exactly insulating him. I have a feeling since you get drops up and down depending on how far you are from the supply, that he was lucky enough to be getting a lower powered shock. If he was closer to the breaker box I have a feeling he would of been dead Crocs or no Crocs.
 
  by: thorsblood   06/06/2010 11:33 AM     
  what VermiciousG said  
 
thorsblood-all large appliances like you mentioned use a lot more Watts, which ups the amps.
thats why the cable is a different gauge.

a 220v hair drier is far safer then a 120 v hair drier assuming the watts does not change.
 
  by: snowman47   06/06/2010 08:25 PM     
  @snowman  
 
Hey, I´m just guessing. I´d rather take the word of someone with more exp than me.
 
  by: Zomar Handi   06/06/2010 10:25 PM     
  Dang Enter button  
 
...continued

But, Wouldn´t the wattage be the same and wouldn´t that be the real killer?
 
  by: Zomar Handi   06/06/2010 10:27 PM     
  @zomar  
 
It takes very little to actually kill you. Less than 2 amps from what I recall. So in the right circumstances both the US and UK standards can be deadly. If I remember correctly Amps = Watts/Volts So If you take the standard is 1500watts (source Google) so 1500watts/240v = 6.25 amps lower than the US amps (1500/110 = 13.63amps) Although the UK standard is slightly safer, both will kill you with ease. So yea... make sure your hair dryer either has a GFCI on the plug or see if your wall outlet has one already. I don´t use any old devices without being plugged into a GFCI outlet. Or you can be lazy and not covert your house and install a GFCI breaker.
 
  by: thorsblood   06/06/2010 11:36 PM     
  .  
 
it only takes 100mA to stop a human hart.
 
  by: snowman47   06/07/2010 02:13 AM     
  Crocs  
 
Wow! That´s a lucky escape, by the way I love Crocs! http://www.shoesnews.org
 
  by: paul9999   06/12/2010 04:11 AM     
  Why must everyone make this so difficult?  
 
The difference between US and English electricity is simply that the higher the voltage, the less amps you use to accomplish your goal. The lower the voltage, the more amps are used. 220-240 lines are broken down into a least 2 separate "legs" of roughly 110-120 each. The difference in safety is when the amps are distributed between the two "legs" the effect is half of the amps that would be going through a single 120 volt plug like used in the US. I hope this helps.
 
  by: tasccole   07/02/2010 03:50 PM     
 
 
Copyright ©2014 ShortNews GmbH & Co. KG, Contact: info@shortnews.com