Chris Welding´s wife screamed there was a spider in the house, he sprang into action, nearly killing himself in the process. The IT engineer chased the spider into the bathroom of their Clacton, Essex, home in England.
Using a flammable aerosol can, he sprayed the spider as it hid behind the toilet and then used an open flame to see if he had killed it. The flame ignited the gas and caused a massive explosion, blowing him off his feet and into the hall way.
He was admitted to hospital with flash burns to his head, legs and torso.
He might not have killed the spider
"We´re not entirely sure whether the spider got away or not but there was no sign of it at the scene" said an Essex Fire Service spokesman.